< Loading Boiler >
Before starting platework, we have to decide how to treat rivets. If you represent them, you have to obtain tiny one and plant as numerous as the stars in the sky. Otherwise, you have to hide all of screws and rivets that are necessary for construction. Now, William of my design is rather old-style loco. So I decided to tackle with rivets. I chose 3/64" copper rivets for plate work and 1/16" iron rivets for buffer beams.
I started riveting with the smokebox. The photo shows how to scribe position of rivets with a compass. After that, they were drilled through and slightly countersunk so as to clear the fillet of the rivet neck.
I didn't hammer the rivet but glue into the hole with heat-resisted adhesive. Note the top white rivet. It is not a rivet but a stainless steel screw to fix the smokebox ring. Tip of the screw is rounded for pretending to be a rivet.
The handrail stanchions and nuts were obtained from a ME supplier. The stanchions are of chrome-plated brass.
The handrail is made of 2.5mm stainless steel wire. Hole in the stanchion was extended. For each handrail, one stanchion is press fitting and others are loose fitting. The photo shows how to press a stanchion into the wire.
Assembled handrail on both sides of the boiler. The rail should be truly straight.
Handrail on the smokebox door. Again the rail should be truly round. You can get it with cutting true portion from a longer wire rounded with a suitable steel pipe.
Components around the boiler were painted and stoved. Chimney, dome and other round parts were heated from a side.
Cleading and boiler bands were heated around a steel pipe. The boiler bands were polished and painted 'clear' so as to maintain brightness permanently.
The blast nozzle was aligned with a round bar, so as to obtain strong blast.
The boiler with lagging and cleading was mounted and tubing in the smokebox was completed again with asbestos sealing.
Guard iron is made from steel flat bar. Unnecessarily fat one will induce damage to the frames.
The front buffer beam was painted and bolted onto the frames. It also has riveting but with 1/16" steel rivets. Incidentally, rivets for fixing the buffer beam are of 3 mm dia and completely hidden.
Rear buffer beam has a hook for additional chain coupler of safety purpose.
The check valve and tube were painted black. The tubes for sand box was cut to necessary length and glued into the box with Loctite.
Now is the time for the last patience, platework !