< Detail Work 4 >

The running board valance was soft-soldered under the running board. First, it was screwed onto the running board with solder paste. Short pieces of solder were put on the joint, and then the whole job was heated up by a propane cassette torch.

The valance was painted white with aerosol stove paint. For masking, I employed plastic model masking tape (6mm) and paper.

So as to let the whistles imitate air containers, I bound them with brass bandage. Both ends of the bandage were directly screwed onto the container. One end was screwed beforehand. Then pulling another end with a thin wire, I opened a hole for screw through the bandage.

Painted and assembled container. The brass bandage was coated with clear lacquer. The ladder was made from brass and steel bars. They were riveted and silver soldered. Note the stretchers between the ladder and the container.

I added steel angle between the main frame and the running board, so as to increase stiffness against the hand pump action.

The body was temporary mounted onto the main frames for the next step.

The floorboard was made from the running board material. It has a complicated shape due to many components in the cab. Before cutting the material, I checked the shape with a card board.

The floorboard covers only behind the boiler. So as to prevent coals dropping under the floor, I added angles in front of the floor.