< Platework 1 >

I prepared 1.5mm brass sheet for platework. The side plates were cut with fretsaw. Note the cutting direction. In this case, the blade was set in opposite direction.

Fretsaw can cut exact lines but it needs much time. So the other rectangle plates were cut with a hacksaw and finished by milling.

Plates for the cab and side tanks, without roof and spectacle plate.

The side window beading was made from brass angle. The photo shows how to cut and bend the angle to trace the window profile.

I joined our club's 2004 autumn meet. For this second test run, I had done some modifications as follows.

In the last run, I found the oil pump latch sometimes slips. Then I intensified the coil spring and replace the phosphor bronze spring plate with a SUS304CUP (stainless steel spring material) plate.

When the train starts or stops, a great vibration of water comes to the water-column in the cab, and makes it overflowed. Therefore I added 'orifice' to control water flow into the column.

The autumn meet was held at a public park with OS combination trucks. I was riding my loco for four hours and it took 2.5kg Welsh steam coal. I had no problem during the run. However, after the run, I found that almost of cinder was not drop into the ashpan but stocked in front of the firebox, like a beehive! Maybe I have to make the slits of the grate wider.